How to Create the Best Charcuterie Boards
There are so many different ways that you can start off a meal. The best charcuterie boards are usually big hits. After all, a great appetizer will really set the tone for the rest of the meal and get you ready for the main course. However, when it comes to light, delicious, appetite-inducing starters, nothing can really compare to a classic charcuterie board. A standard charcuterie board will contain sweets, cheese and charcuterie together in a complimentary way. This is the perfect meal-starter, because it is light, fresh and flavorful, easy to munch on, but won’t leave you feeling too full before your main course.
A charcuterie board can make or break a meal or a party—so how do you make sure you are creating the ultimate charcuterie board?
Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- Select a variety of flavors. Some people like to keep their charcuterie boards all within a theme, but this can make the board boring—especially when you are sharing. Use a mix of mild, medium and bold flavors, as well as some softer, milder meats and cheeses. A mix of bold and mild flavors will really make the board more interesting.
- Don’t forget about fruit. Most people only think of meats and cheeses when they think of charcuterie boards. However, fresh, seasonal fruit can bring some sweetness into the salty blend of flavors. If you aren’t sure which fruits to try, dried berries like cranberries are always a safe bet, as are strawberries and grapes which are known for pairing well with cheeses.
- Use your cheeses to match your wine and your meats to match with your beer. This is a great way to make sure that you have both a wine option and a beer option that will go with your board. If you aren’t an expect, a good rule of thumb is bold-flavored meats and cheeses pair best with bold flavored alcohol.
- Add something briny to the mix. Sometimes, you need a more briny flavor to go with your charcuterie board. Pickled vegetables are always a great option, they go great with bold meats like salami. While traditional pickles are always a great classic with charcuterie boards—don’t be afraid to add some unique pickled veggies into the mix.
- Add spreads jams and preserves. This is another way for you to bring in some sweet flavor into your charcuterie board. One or two small jars of preserves will help balance out the flavor or salty meats and cheeses. Figs and fig spreads are another great option to try.
Of course, if you still haven’t quite mastered the art of pairing together charcuterie boards, you can always come down to Hearthstone and try our selection of charcuterie as well. Of course, we will make sure that it pairs well with the right beer and wine so you can really enjoy the ultimate flavor experience. After all, the only thing that is better than the ultimate charcuterie board, is the ultimate charcuterie board that someone else creates for you. So come down to Hearthstone today and see first hand what a great charcuterie board can taste like.